Friday, September 25, 2009

Friday's Frugal Food: Drunken Chicken

So here is the idea. Each Friday I will post a recipe that corresponds with what is on sale at Publix that week. This week I will be using a whole chicken that is on sale for .79/lb. If you have been following me for awhile now you know that I have managed to get a good supply of charcoal too. Luckily, I have a husband that LOVES to grill. I enlisted his help with my first Friday's Frugal Food: Drunken Chicken.

Trey's Drunken Chicken Recipe (in Trey's words):

Ingredients:
1 (3-4 lb) whole chicken
Dash of salt
1 tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 spoonful minced garlic
1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
1 can beer (Preferably Budweiser or Miller High Life)
Tony Chachere Cajun Seasoning

Directions:
Remove neck and giblets from chicken and discard. Rinse chicken inside and out, and pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle and rub Tony Chachere generously all over the outside of chicken, especially around the legs and wings. Set aside.
Open beer can and drink half the beer. ( Doesn't matter what time of the day it is!)
Add into the can the minced garlic, Old Bay Seasoning, black pepper, a dash of salt and a tablespoon of Worcestershire Sauce. Place beer can on a solid surface. Grabbing a chicken leg in each hand, plunk the bird cavity over the beer can. Transfer the bird-on-a-can to your grill and place in the center of the grate, balancing the bird on its 2 legs and the can like a tripod. (You can also find wire chicken stands, which I use, and the beer can fits nicely into a holder to prevent tip-overs.) Cook the chicken over medium-high, indirect heat (i.e. no coals or burners on directly under the bird), with the grill cover on, for approximately 1 1/2 - 2 hours or until the internal temperature registers 165 degrees F in the breast area and 180 degrees F in the thigh, or until the thigh juice runs clear when stabbed with a sharp knife.
I highly recommend always cooking this on a charcoal grill, adding pecan wood to taste. Remove from grill and let rest for 10 minutes before carving. ENJOY.

My side notes: Drunken chicken makes WONDERFUL chicken salad(maybe I'll work on my mother in law to post that recipe the next time chicken is on sale!)


(& Trey)

1 comment:

Eastern Shore Mom said...

:) LOVE IT! I am linking from the Publix post!