Friday, November 27, 2009

BB Minute: Price Matching "Coupons"

What is a price matching "coupon"? What does it look like? Where can you use it and not use it? This is a topic that needs some addressing. I teach in my class about price matching "coupons"--but it is time to address it here on the blog as well.

So what is it? A price match "coupon" is actually a sale price--Not a cents off or dollar off coupon. The best example of this is some of the "coupons" that Walgreens puts in their ad. The sale price on the bandaids below is actually $1.99. It's not $1.99 off bandaids.
Price Match "Coupon" Example:


Some Walgreens coupons are actual cents off or dollars off. Those you can use at stores that accept competitor coupons(like some Publix locations). The bandaid coupon below is actually $2 off bandaids.
Normal Cents/Dollar Off Coupon Example:




So please do not take the price match "coupons" to Publix. Publix does not price match. Thus, they will not accept a price match "coupon". To be accepted at Publix, the coupon must be a cents off or $ amount off of a product.

Use them at the stores that they were meant for or try WalMart.

Hopefully, I explained it well enough. If you ever have questions about a coupon like this please send me an email and I will do my best to help you out. bargainbuggy@gmail.com or ask a Publix customer service manager.

5 comments:

abluwater said...

Shannon,
I had tried to use a CVS softsoap coupon at Publix the other day that said "Save $2.00." I was told that unless it said "$2.00 off" that I could not use it. :(
Note: This wasn't for the 79cent softsoap. It was for the fancy kind. The pump is $6 and the refill is close to $4.
None the less, the cashier that told me I couldn't use it was a cashier I would think would know. (R...)
Why do some cashiers take them and some don't?
Anyway. I got my coupon back and thought I would try to stack it at the Fairhope Wal-mart, since they started taking competitor coupons.

The Bargain Buggy said...

I am guessing you were trying to use a clip free CVS coupon. Those are actually sale prices too that are tied to your rewards card. Yes, if you enlarge the Walgreens coupon image above they say "Save $2 off....".
All cashiers should tell you--you can not use those price match coupons at Publix. If ever in question ask for a customer service manager and they will explain it in more detail.
On the CVS Clipfree--WalMart will usually not accept coupons that are tied to a loyalty card. But you could try it. :)

The Bargain Buggy said...

abluwater-I was looking at the RiteAid coupons that say Save $2--Those should be accepted. Next time I would ask to speak to a customer service manager. Those coupons (pg 12 today's RA ad--in my opinion)should be accepted. But it ultimately comes down to a manager's call. Getting into one of those YMMV deals.
Thanks Brandi.

abluwater said...

Will do!
As always... thanks for your help, Shannon! :)

abluwater said...

Shannon,
Did you get the message I sent to you that Wal-mart in Fairhope is not only price matching... but they are accepting competetor coupons. FF posted this and I know a few people who have done it. The only thing is that the cashier has to get a manager over to help w/ the transaction.