Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Recipe: Fairhope Foodie's White Bean Chicken Chili

So this Fairhope Foodie recipe caught my eye as soon as it was posted--White Bean Chicken Chili. I had most of the ingredients on hand...except for the cheese. I made a quick stop by the store and picked up a block of monterey jack cheese for $1.99.

As I have shared before I am notorious for adding my own touch to a recipe. This time I added 1 can of chickpeas to the 2 cans of Cannellini beans. And substituted the pepper jack cheese with monterey jack. I started this dish this a.m. with frozen chicken breasts and it was ready by lunch.

So why the post? It was just that good! Definitely one of my favorite dishes.


The Fairhope Foodie's recipe:

White Bean Chicken Chili
3-4 cans white beans, drained and rinsed
3 boneless chicken breasts (can be frozen)
1 8-oz. block pepper jack cheese, cubed (I used monterey jack)
2 cups salsa
1 cup Chicken Broth

Garnishes:
avocado
sour cream
shredded cheese
salsa

Combine the beans, cheese, and salsa in a crockpot. Nestle the chicken breasts into the mixture, and cook on low 6 hours. Remove chicken breasts, shred with a fork, and return to crockpot. Stir to combine, and serve with desired garnishes (Top with shredded cheese, sour cream and avocado with a squeeze of lime).

Health Tip: Rinsing the beans removes some of the excess sodium.


No comments: