Friday, September 25, 2009

ORGANIZATION Part 1: Organizing Coupons

The number one key to successful couponing: ORGANIZATION.
I am going to do a 3 part series this week on organization:
1. ORGANIZING COUPONS
2. ORGANIZING A SHOPPING TRIP
3. ORGANIZING A STOCKPILE


Today's Topic - ORGANIZING COUPONS:

There are 3 common ways to organize coupons:


1. Clipping & Sorting (using an accordion filer/or box): Clip all coupons and sort in a accordion filer/box. Can sort alphabetically or by product category. When I first started couponing, I sorted using product categories and sub divided categories using envelopes.
PROS: Easy to find coupons. Easy to carry into a store. Great with a small supply.
CONS: Tedious clipping/sorting.


2. Filing Whole Inserts/Clipless: Filing entire inserts according to date and type.
PROS: Easy, quick to sort. No clipping. Easy to find coupons when matching up from a list.
CONS: Must search database to find coupons on unplanned purchases. Can make finding coupons take longer. Almost impossible to take into a store.


3. Binder Method: Clipping coupons and sorting in plastic baseball card/photo holders. Can sort alphabetically or by product category.

PROS: Easy to carry into a store. Makes finding a coupon for an unplanned item easy.
CONS: Drop and they scatter. Very time consuming, to clip/sort/clean out.

Keep in mind that each system has pros and cons. You must find the system that works best for you. You may find that you change the way you organize your coupons as you get more and more of them. I am currently using the clipless method. I do have a small accordion file of loose coupons as well. I DO NOT take all of my coupons in a store with me(impossible). Instead I pick out what coupons that I need on a certain trip and put those coupons in an envelope(explained in Part II). I do try and keep my coupon filer in the car.

How do you organize your coupons? Comment below!

No comments: